Big Room EDM, also known as Festival House, is a subgenre of electronic dance music that has gained immense popularity in recent years. It is characterized by its energetic and anthemic sound, designed to captivate large crowds at music festivals and clubs. The origins and evolution of Big Room EDM reflect the ever-changing landscape of electronic music, with influences and inspirations from various genres and artists. The genre is distinguished by its specific characteristics, including a high BPM range, explosive builds, heavy drops, melodic breakdowns, and the incorporation of progressive house elements. Notable Big Room EDM artists and producers have made a significant impact on the scene, both iconic figures and rising stars. Big Room EDM festivals and events attract thousands of fans worldwide, featuring highlight performances and mind-blowing productions. The genre’s influence extends beyond its dedicated fanbase, contributing to its global mainstream success and serving as inspiration for other EDM genres and crossover tracks. As Big Room EDM continues to evolve, it embraces experimentation and fusion with other musical genres, promising a future of continued innovation and growth.
What is Big Room EDM?
Big Room EDM is a subgenre of electronic dance music (EDM) that answers the question, “What is Big Room EDM?“. Characterized by intense and booming drops, energetic melodies, and massive soundscapes, this subgenre originated in the early 2010s and quickly gained popularity in the festival scene. What sets Big Room EDM apart is its larger-than-life sound and its ability to create an electrifying atmosphere on the dance floor. Major DJs and producers like Martin Garrix, Hardwell, and Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike have played a significant role in popularizing this genre. The high energy and anthemic nature of Big Room EDM make it perfect for big festival stages and epic live performances.
The Origins and Evolution of Big Room EDM
Big Room EDM, it’s more than just thumping beats and massive drops. Let’s turn back the clock and explore the origins and evolution of this powerhouse genre. First, we’ll dive into the emergence of Big Room EDM, uncovering the key players and groundbreaking tracks that laid the foundation. Then, we’ll take a ride through the influences and inspirations that have shaped this genre into a global phenomenon. Get ready to discover the roots and the magic behind Big Room EDM.
The Emergence of Big Room EDM
The emergence of Big Room EDM marked a significant shift in the electronic music scene. This sub-genre gained popularity in the early 2010s and has since become a staple in dance music culture. Here’s a table highlighting some key aspects of the Emergence of Big Room EDM:
|Swedish House Mafia releases “One,” defining the Big Room sound
|Avicii‘s “Levels” becomes a global hit, further popularizing the genre
|Big Room EDM dominates music festivals, with artists like Hardwell and Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike leading the way
|Martin Garrix’s “Animals” reaches #1 on the charts, solidifying the genre’s mainstream appeal
Fact: The Emergence of Big Room EDM introduced a new wave of high-energy, festival-inspired electronic music, captivating audiences worldwide.
Influences and Inspirations in Big Room EDM
Incorporating influences and inspirations is crucial in shaping the genre of Big Room EDM. Various factors contribute to the development of this genre, including:
- Vintage Electro House: Pioneering artists such as Afrojack, Chuckie, and Laidback Luke found inspiration in the energetic beats and hard-hitting drops of vintage electro house music.
- Festival Culture: The ability of Big Room EDM to energize crowds at massive festivals like Tomorrowland and Ultra Music Festival has led to its rise. The genre’s high-energy tracks have become synonymous with the festival experience.
- Progressive House: Big Room EDM incorporates elements from progressive house by utilizing melodic breakdowns and euphoric builds to create tension and anticipation before diving into powerful, hard-hitting beats.
- Hardstyle: Many Big Room EDM tracks have been influenced by the pounding kick drums and aggressive energy of hardstyle music, resulting in the incorporation of harder and faster elements in the genre.
When producing Big Room EDM, it is essential to pay homage to these influences while also bringing your unique style and creativity to the table.
Characteristics of Big Room EDM
Get ready to dive into the electrifying world of Big Room EDM! This section uncovers the exhilarating characteristics that define this genre. From the BPM range and energetic builds to the heavy drops and melodic breakdowns, we’ll explore the dynamic elements that make Big Room EDM a powerful force on the dancefloors. Don’t miss out on how this genre skillfully incorporates progressive house elements for a truly unforgettable musical experience!
BPM Range and Energetic Builds
- BPM Range: Big Room EDM is famous for its high-energy and electrifying sound, primarily due to its BPM range of 126-132. This range creates a fast-paced and exhilarating tempo, perfect for dancing and creating a vibrant atmosphere.
- Energetic Builds: Big Room EDM is renowned for its explosive and epic build-ups. These tracks typically start with a simple melody or beat and gradually intensify, building anticipation until they reach a climactic drop.
These characteristics of BPM range and energetic builds contribute to the captivating and intense nature of Big Room EDM. This genre is a favorite at music festivals and club events, ensuring that the energy remains alive. Explore some of the best tracks with incredible build-ups and BPM ranges, such as “Animals” by Martin Garrix or “Tsunami” by DVBBS and Borgeous. Let the music take you on a thrilling journey of sound!
Heavy Drops and Melodic Breakdowns
Heavy drops and melodic breakdowns are defining characteristics of Big Room EDM, creating intense and euphoric moments for listeners.
- Big Room tracks build up tension with energetic beats and powerful synth melodies, leading to a climactic moment where the bass drops in a massive burst of energy.
- In contrast, melodic breakdowns provide a brief pause, often accompanied by beautiful chord progressions and atmospheric elements, before building up again to the next energetic drop.
Fact: The heavy drops and melodic breakdowns in Big Room EDM are designed to ignite intense feelings of euphoria and create a shared experience of excitement and unity among the audience.
Incorporation of Progressive House Elements
Incorporating progressive house elements is essential for creating the distinct sound of Big Room EDM. These elements play a vital role in bringing anticipation and energy to the genre, captivating listeners on the dancefloor. They encompass:
- Epic Build-ups: Big Room tracks often showcase prolonged build-ups, gradually intensifying the energy and excitement.
- Melodic Breakdowns: These sections provide a momentary respite from the high-intensity drops, featuring beautiful and emotive melodies.
- Punchy Basslines: Influenced by progressive house, Big Room EDM incorporates powerful driving basslines that add depth and impact to the tracks.
- Complex Layers: Big Room EDM employs multiple layers of synths, chords, and vocals, crafting a dynamic and full-bodied sound.
- Anthemic Chords: The incorporation of uplifting chord progressions contributes to the euphoric and larger-than-life atmosphere.
An excellent example of successfully incorporating progressive house elements is Martin Garrix’s iconic track “Animals,” which encompasses a progressive build-up, melodic breakdown, and a monumental drop. This song became a massive hit and significantly contributed to the genre’s popularity.
Big Room EDM Artists and Producers
Get ready to dive into the world of Big Room EDM artists and producers! In this section, we’ll explore the iconic figures who have shaped the Big Room genre and discover the rising stars making waves in the scene. From legendary DJs with a rich history to fresh talents pushing boundaries, you’ll get an inside look at the vibrant landscape of Big Room EDM. So, get those speakers ready and prepare to groove to the beats of these influential artists!
Iconic Big Room EDM Artists
Iconic Big Room EDM artists have played a significant role in shaping the genre and propelling it to mainstream success. These artists, known as Iconic Big Room EDM artists, have not only created chart-topping hits but have also left a lasting impact on the EDM scene. Here are some of the most iconic Big Room EDM artists:
- 1. Swedish House Mafia: Known for their energetic performances and anthemic tracks, Swedish House Mafia is often credited with popularizing Big Room EDM.
- 2. Martin Garrix: This Dutch DJ and producer gained fame at a young age with his breakout hit “Animals” and has since become a prominent figure in the genre.
- 3. Hardwell: With his high-octane sets and powerful productions, Hardwell has cemented his status as one of the top Big Room EDM artists in the world.
- 4. Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike: This Belgian duo has captivated audiences with their electrifying performances and infectious tracks.
- 5. Avicii: Although best known for his melodic and progressive style, Avicii also made significant contributions to the Big Room EDM sound.
Rising Stars in the Big Room EDM Scene
Rising stars in the big room EDM scene are capturing the attention of fans and industry professionals alike with their unique styles and impressive productions. These talented artists are making waves with their energetic tracks and powerful drops. Let’s take a look at some of the rising stars in the big room EDM scene:
|Brooks has gained recognition for his collaborations with top DJs like Martin Garrix and David Guetta. Known for his energetic tracks and powerful drops, he has established himself as a rising star in the big room EDM world.
|Making a name for himself in the big room EDM world, Mesto stands out with his catchy melodies and infectious beats. His tracks have been supported by renowned DJs like Hardwell and Tiësto.
|Julian Jordan mixes elements of big room and progressive house to create anthemic tracks that get the crowd moving. His unique sound has earned him a spot among the rising stars of the genre.
|Making a mark in the big room scene, Maurice West combines hard-hitting drops with melodic breakdowns. His tracks have been played at major festivals around the world, solidifying his position as a rising star.
|Wasback is quickly rising through the ranks of big room EDM with his high-energy tracks and captivating performances. His collaborations with artists like Hardwell and Sunstars have garnered attention in the industry.
These rising stars are pushing the boundaries of big room EDM and shaping its future with their fresh and innovative sounds. Don’t forget to keep an eye out for their future releases and performances.
Big Room EDM Festivals and Events
Get ready to dive into the electrifying world of Big Room EDM Festivals and Events. Discover the most sought-after festivals worldwide, where music enthusiasts gather to dance the night away. From jaw-dropping performances to mind-blowing productions, you won’t want to miss a beat. So, buckle up and let’s explore the exhilarating realm of Big Room EDM that will leave you awe-struck and craving for more.
Popular Big Room EDM Festivals Worldwide
- Tomorrowland – Held in Belgium, Tomorrowland is one of the popular big room EDM festivals worldwide. It features top DJs, breathtaking stages, and a vibrant atmosphere.
- Ultra Music Festival – Taking place in Miami, Ultra Music Festival is known for its epic production and lineup of renowned electronic artists.
- Electric Daisy Carnival (EDC) – EDC is a massive festival held in various locations, including Las Vegas, Orlando, and Mexico City. It showcases the best of big room EDM with its awe-inspiring stages and immersive experience.
- EDM Festival Prague – This festival in Czech Republic attracts EDM enthusiasts from around the world with its stellar lineup and stunning venues.
Pro-tip: Stay hydrated and bring earplugs to protect your hearing during these high-energy festivals!
Highlight Performances and Mind-blowing Productions
Big Room EDM is renowned for its impressive and awe-inspiring live performances, featuring mind-blowing productions that leave audiences in awe.
- Stage Design: Big Room EDM festivals and events often showcase breathtaking stage setups, with elaborate LED screens, pyrotechnics, and stunning visual effects.
- Special Effects: Performances may include extravagant confetti showers, CO2 cannons, laser shows, and synchronized lighting displays.
- Guest Appearances: Big Room EDM artists frequently invite surprise guests, such as renowned DJs or popular vocalists, to join them on stage, adding an extra element of excitement.
- Interactive Elements: Some performances incorporate interactive elements, allowing the audience to actively participate in creating the music or controlling certain effects through apps or wearable technology.
To enhance the experience, festival-goers can plan their attendance based on these highlight performances and mind-blowing productions. Here are some suggested events to consider:
- Tomorrowland: Known for its extravagant stage designs and immersive experiences.
- Ultra Music Festival: Features jaw-dropping visual productions and an array of talented artists.
- Electric Daisy Carnival: Offers mind-blowing stage setups and a diverse lineup of performers.
The Influence and Impact of Big Room EDM
Big Room EDM has left an indelible mark on the music industry, shaping the sound and direction of electronic dance music. From its global mainstream success and commercialization to inspiring other EDM genres and delivering unforgettable crossover tracks, this section explores the profound influence and impact of Big Room EDM. Prepare to dive into the dynamic beats, infectious melodies, and energetic vibes that have captured the hearts of millions of listeners worldwide.
Global Mainstream Success and Commercialization
The global mainstream success and commercialization of Big Room EDM have had a significant impact on the music industry. This sub-genre has become popular worldwide, reaching large audiences and attracting commercial attention.
- Increased Popularity: Big Room EDM has achieved immense global popular success, with artists like Martin Garrix and Avicii topping charts and gaining mainstream recognition.
- Commercialization: The commercialization of Big Room EDM has led to lucrative deals, sponsorships, and collaborations with major brands, further expanding its reach and visibility.
- Mainstream Integration: Big Room EDM has seamlessly integrated into the mainstream music scene, with its energetic beats and anthemic melodies becoming a staple in pop music and receiving extensive radio play.
One prime example showcasing the global mainstream success and commercialization of Big Room EDM is the iconic track “Animals” by Martin Garrix. This song garnered massive popularity, becoming a commercial hit and dominating charts worldwide, solidifying Garrix’s position as a leading figure in the genre.
Inspirations for Other EDM Genres and Crossover Tracks
Inspirations for Other EDM Genres and Crossover Tracks:
Big Room EDM draws inspiration from progressive house, incorporating its melodic and euphoric elements into its own high-energy sound. This fusion of genres has influenced future bass, with artists like Martin Garrix and Marshmello blending elements of both genres to create unique crossover tracks. Additionally, collaboration with pop artists has allowed Big Room EDM to expand its reach and create crossover tracks that combine electronic production with catchy pop hooks. Furthermore, Big Room EDM producers have ventured into the exploration of different genres such as trap, trance, and dubstep, resulting in the creation of new hybrid styles. The immense success of many Big Room EDM tracks as festival anthems has also influenced other EDM genres to produce tracks with similar festival-oriented sounds and structures.
The Future of Big Room EDM
As the vibrant world of Big Room EDM continues to evolve, let’s dive into the exciting future that lies ahead. In this section, we’ll explore the boundless possibilities of experimentation and fusion with other genres, where Big Room EDM artists are pushing boundaries and creating fresh sounds. We’ll uncover the continued evolution and innovation within the genre, as artists strive to captivate audiences with groundbreaking beats and electrifying performances. Strap in and get ready for a glimpse into the exhilarating future of Big Room EDM!
Experimentation and Fusion with Other Genres
Big Room EDM artists are constantly pushing the boundaries of their genre through experimentation and fusion with other genres. This allows for the creation of exciting and unique sounds that captivate audiences around the world.
- Experimentation: Artists like Martin Garrix and Hardwell are renowned for incorporating elements of progressive house, trance, and even hip-hop into their big room productions.
- Fusion with other genres: Some producers are exploring collaborations with artists from genres like pop, trap, and even classical music, resulting in groundbreaking tracks that appeal to a wider audience.
- New sounds and styles: By infusing big room with elements from other genres, artists can create fresh sounds and styles that keep the genre evolving and captivating for fans.
The future of Big Room EDM lies in the hands of these creative minds who will continue to experiment and fuse elements from other genres in order to push the genre’s boundaries further.
Continued Evolution and Innovation
Continued evolution and innovation play a vital role in ensuring the growth and sustainability of Big Room EDM. Artists and producers within this genre are consistently pushing boundaries and experimenting with novel sounds and techniques. There are several ways in which Big Room EDM is progressing and driving innovation:
- Exploring uncharted genres and sub-genres to forge distinct fusions.
- Incorporating live instruments and vocals into electronic productions.
- Integrating state-of-the-art technology and production tools to craft immersive experiences.
- Collaborating with artists from diverse musical backgrounds to introduce fresh perspectives.
- Adapting to evolving trends and audience preferences while remaining true to the genre’s core elements.
Through continued evolution and innovation, Big Room EDM remains dynamic and relevant, capturing the attention of new listeners and engaging existing fans.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Big Room EDM?
Big Room EDM is a commercial style of electronic dance music (EDM) designed for large clubs, festivals, and arenas. It aims for mass appeal and high profits, which has led to criticism for being uninspired and lacking originality.
What are the characteristics of Big Room EDM?
A typical Big Room EDM song features a strong four-to-the-floor beat, simplistic structure, vocals about dancing, partying, drinking, drugs, or love, and multiple buildups and big drops. The melodies are often very simple, with a focus on creating energetic and impactful moments on the dancefloor.
Which artists are known for producing Big Room EDM music?
Some famous DJs and producers in the EDM scene known for producing Big Room EDM music include Tiesto, Martin Garrix, Avicii, David Guetta, Calvin Harris, Swedish House Mafia, Nicky Romero, and Steve Angello.
Why is Big Room EDM controversial?
Big Room EDM has become controversial in the EDM scene due to criticism for lacking originality and creativity. It is often seen as sounding homogenous, with tracks having similar structures and production aesthetics. Some producers and critics argue that it is less creatively challenging and contributes to the oversaturation of events and major labels pushing cheap dance music.
What are the stylistic origins of Big Room EDM?
Big Room EDM has its stylistic origins in electro-house and Dutch house. It shares similarities with these genres, including the use of drops, minimalist percussion, regular beats, sub-bass layered kicks, simple melodies, and synth-driven breakdowns. However, it has evolved and developed as its own genre.
Where can I find more information and discussion about Big Room EDM?
For more information and discussion about Big Room EDM, you can visit the r/EDM subreddit, which is a prime source for discussing electronic dance music and discovering new music in the scene. However, at the time of writing, the subreddit is closed in protest of Reddit’s decision to kill third-party apps. You can check out the r/reddit post, r/ModCoord, and r/Save3rdPartyApps for more information. Additionally, you can join the r/edm discord server for updates and to hang out with other EDM enthusiasts.
Martin Camilleri is a distinguished music expert, whose life has been harmonized with the sweet strains of melody. With an unwavering passion for all things musical, he has dedicated his career to exploring the nuances, trends, and innovations that shape the world of sound.
As an accomplished writer, Martin has crafted a symphony of words that brings the captivating world of music to life. His extensive knowledge, thoughtful insights, and an unquenchable thirst for musical discovery have made him a respected authority in the industry. Martin’s writing resonates with the essence of every note, transforming complex rhythms and compositions into accessible, captivating narratives for music enthusiasts of all backgrounds.
With a background spanning both classical and contemporary genres, Martin Camilleri is a trusted guide in the ever-evolving universe of music. Whether he’s dissecting the timeless compositions of legendary maestros, unraveling the mysteries of modern music production, or sharing the latest innovations in the industry, his work is a testament to the universal language of music. Join him on a journey through the symphony of sound, and experience music through the eloquent lens of a true connoisseur.